The Lundy's Lane Historical Museum was established in 1961 by the Lundy's Lane Historical Society and opened in the Mackenzie House on Drummond Road, the next year the Museum was turned over to the newly amalgamated City of Niagara Falls. In 1970 the Museum moved from its former site at Drummond Road and Lundy's Lane to its present home at 5810 Ferry Street.
This handsome two-storey limestone building was erected in 1874 on the site of the Battle of Lundy's Lane and served as the Stamford Township Hall. John Latshaw, a prominent local architect, was the designer for what is now one of the few remaining structures of that time period in the City of Niagara Falls. In its early days the building's basement housed the Drummondville Fire Department.
Stamford Township Council met here until 1962 when the Township and the City of Niagara Falls amalgamated. From 1963 until 1964 the building housed the City of Niagara Falls Engineering Department as well as the Welland and District Health Department.
In 1974 the building was designated as an Historic Building under the provisions of the Ontario Heritage Act. The year 2000 marked the building's 125th anniversary and the Museum's 30th.
The Museum is owned by the City of Niagara Falls and operated by the City of Niagara Falls Board of Museums.
The Museum's collection includes a significant collection of War of 1812 artifacts, as well as historic prints of Niagara Falls. The Museum also has a world class collection of Niagara Falls Souvenir China and Postcards. As the interpreters of the City's history, the Museum houses a variety of artifacts relating to all aspects of the founding and development of the City of Niagara Falls.
Facilities on site include public washrooms, gift shop, plenty of free parking in the Market Square, and facilities for researchers.
Admission to the Museum is $3.00 for adults, $2.50 for students and seniors and $2.00 for children 6 to 12 years old, children under six years old are free.
Memberships are available for all the City of Niagara Falls Museums and details can be obtained at any of the Museums.
The Museum is open 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily from January 2 to May 1, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. May 1 to October 31 and Wednesday to Sunday 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. in November and December.
War of 1812
The War of 1812 between the United States and Britain played an important part in shaping the look and makeup of the City of Niagara Falls. Two of the most significant battles from this conflict occurred within the current City limits - The Battle of Lundy's Lane and the Battle of Chippawa.
To celebrate 100 years of the City of Niagara Falls in 2004, the City of Niagara Falls Museums held a re-enactment of the Battles of Lundy's Lane and Chippawa. These events brought to life one of the most important events in the history of the community.
The African Experience is an important part of the history of the City of Niagara Falls. For more information about see Black History in Niagara Falls.
Queen Victoria Memorial Fountain
To the right of the entrance to the Museum stands a stone memorial fountain commemorating Queen Victoria's reign of over 64 years, erected by her loyal subjects of Stamford Township. The fountain, constructed in 1901 of 82 pieces of limestone, one for each year of the late Queen's life, provided a constant source of fresh running water for humans, horses and dogs from its three separate levels. The fountain is non-operative at present.
The Queen Victoria Memorial Fountain as it looks today
The Lundy's Lane Historical Museum can accommodate all types of educational tours and has several educational programmes specially designed to cover a range of grade levels and interests. In addition to this, the Museum staff can work with your group to find a programme that will work for you. For more information on our programmes, check out School Programmes Page
Brick City - Discover an amazing minature world created with toy bricks!