Niagara Falls Border crossing

passport information & identification requirements

When you enter Canada, a Canada Border Services Agency officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States over the age of 16, you will need a Passport, a Passport Card or Enhanced Driver's Licence (only issued by certain states) to enter Canada. If you are travelling by air, you are required to have a passport, regardless of age. As of March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada, will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa.

Inadmissibility: You may be deemed inadmissible to Canada (not allowed to enter the country) by the Border Services Officer for a number of reasons. Reasons for inadmissibility include involvement in criminal activity (which may include impaired driving convictions), human rights violations, organized crime, etc. For further information about documentation required and border procedures please visit the Canada Border Services Agency’s website. (


Entry Visa to the United States - If you are an international traveler and need information on entering the US please visit this Link .

Entry Visa to Canada - If you are an international traveler and not sure if you need a tourist visa click here . If you know that you are required to apply for a visa to visit Canada you can do it here .

Persons wishing to travel to Canada who are not U.S. citizens (ie: foreigner) may be required to get a tourist visa from the Canadian consulate in the country from which they are arriving from. If you are in the USA on a visa and wish to visit Canada while in New York there is no Canadian consulate located in Niagara Falls. YOU CANNOT OBTAIN A TOURIST VISA AT ANY OF THE BORDER CROSSINGS. When contacting the Consul, inform them that you wish to obtain a “temporary resident visa”. As of February 2019 the fee per person is $100.00 for a single entry visa, $150 for a multiple entry visa or $500 for a family (multiple or single entry). For online information visit the Canadian Consul Website .


Crossing into Canada can be achieved via any of the 4 bridges spanning the Niagara River.

Rainbow Bridge – Located in Niagara Falls and offering a spectacular view of the falls and Niagara River, the Rainbow Bridge is used exclusively by travelers and not commercial vehicles. Visitors can also walk and bike across the bridge. For current crossing wait times, please visit

Queenston Lewiston Bridge – Located downstream approximately 7 kilometers from the falls, the Queenston Lewiston Bridge is open to commercial and residential vehicular traffic. For current crossing wait times, please visit

Peace Bridge – Spanning the mouth of the Niagara River and allowing visitors to cross from Buffalo, New York into Fort Erie Canada, the Peace Bridge is open to commercial and residential traffic. For current crossing wait times, please visit

Whirlpool Bridge (Nexus Pass Holders Only) – Located approximately 2.9 kilometres downstream from the Falls, the Whirlpool Bridge is open only to Nexus Pass Holders.


If you make purchases and travel between Niagara Falls Ontario and Niagara Falls New York be sure to save your receipts. When crossing the international border you will be required to declare all purchases. Certain items may be taxable or you may qualify for tax refunds. Please visit the duty free stores located at the bridges between the U.S. and Canada for more information.

Canadian Residents returning from abroad - can bring in a certain amount of goods duty free. Please visit this link for current exemptions.

Visitors Exemptions on Goods entering Canada -

Visitors to the United States – Please visit this website for current limits and exemptions

PETS – For travelers visiting Niagara Falls with their pets. Dogs are welcome in the park areas as long as they are leashed and cleaned up after. If you plan on crossing the border with a pet you may be asked to provide a current vaccination certificate. Most hotels do not allow pets. If you are interested in bringing your pet into Canada please visit the official Canada Inspection page . If you are interested in bringing your pet into the United States please visit the United States Department of Agriculture’s website. Only official guide dogs are permitted on certain attractions (therapy pets are not included).

Copyright © 2021 InfoNiagara | Sitemap | Contact Support
Powered by